HPC Lab carries out research on algorithms and systems addressing computational-, and data-intensive problems arising in scientific, business, social, and knowledge-based applications. Our advanced solutions exploit high performance techniques and tools to deal with the exponential growth of users, data, knowledge and services that need to be efficiently stored, managed, analyzed and retrieved.
The main research topics are:
- Web Search and Information Systems for Big Data: Indexing, Compression, Responsiveness;
- Scalable Distributed Computing with Map-Reduce, Giraph, Spark;
- Data Mining and Machine Learning for Ranking, Prediction, Recommendation;
- Cloud Computing, Cloud Federations, and Cloud Resource Management;
- Knowledge Bases, Entity Linking and Semantic Enrichment;
- Social Media Analysis.
The group is composed of about 20 people involved in several projects including the running EC projects Midas, Contrail, IngeoClouds, eCloud, and the national projects Secure!, RIS and MOTUS. We have very close ongoing collaborations and exchanges with outstanding international partners from both industry and academia. Past PhD students of HPC Lab work now for highly-reputed companies such as Yahoo (labs of Barcelona and London), Tiscali istella, Facebook, Twitter.
HPC Lab is part of the Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell’Informazione “A. Faedo” (ISTI), the largest institute of the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR) involved in ICT Research. The laboratory is located in the CNR Research Area of Pisa.